Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Around the Dinner Table

Politicians love to connect with the American public by presuming they know what we discuss “around the dinner table”. Over the past few weeks, I have had numerous dinner conversations with many people from many walks of life from many parts of the world.

The obvious common threads include the US election and the global economy. I hear some of the usual sound bites about McCain, Palin and Obama. And I am quick to relay my sentiment that none of the candidates represent my view of government, industry or religion. I express my disappoint in the collective lack of experience, lack of plan and lack of inspiration. I am finding that many people agree.

This is, of course, an unscientific focus group. But, then again, so is the presumption that Biden or Palin (as in the VP debate) know what we are talking about. In fact, we are not talking about a paycheck, we are not talking about our health care and we are not talking about our mortgage. We are collectively wondering, “Is this the best America has to offer?”

Where is the genius of Adams? The ability in inspire government like Henry? The clear articulation of Jefferson? The perseverance of Lincoln?

Where is sacrifice? Where is humility? Where is might? Where is truth? Where is righteousness? Where is leadership?

Where are the great men who stood with these great leaders? Where is the church? Where is the fire of the revolution? Where is America?

I lament. I weep.

I was recently at dinner with a multi-national group of businessmen. The conversation deepened with a man from France and a man from Spain. They wondered, with admiration, how can a nation that is so different remain so united. I quickly turned them to one of the greatest vision statements ever written “We the People of the United States of America.”

A statement so simple and profound but yet would bind together a dispersed and diverse group of people, give birth to a nation and hold her together for over 200 years.

Read the Preamble and know who we are. Know justice, liberty and freedom and you know what we cherish. Know God and you know who gives us hope, who inspires, and who comforts.

It is not time for America to change. It is time for her to return to the ideals that make her great and to the God who demonstrates his mercies and is always ready to forgive and welcome.

And the truth is… I must be ready to return.

I must be quick to offer forgiveness, to show compassion and to love.

Not just some distant people or those on the other side of the aisle but my friends, my family and my neighbor.

Change, whether its revival or revolution, starts in the heart of man.

How is your heart?

No comments: